KPK detains Kutai Kartanegara regent
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has detained Kutai Kartanegara Regent Rita Widyasari nearly two weeks after naming her a suspect in a bribery case.
Rita was being held at a KPK detention center in Jakarta on Friday, KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said. The agency moved to detain her after lengthy questioning by investigators on Friday. She had previously dodged a summons for questioning from the agency.
Besides arresting her, the antigraft agency also arrested the commissioner of PT Media Bangun Bersama Khairudin who had also been named a suspect in the same case. Khairudin and Rita are alleged to have received gratuities.
“They are both being held for an initial 20 days,” Febri said on Friday as reported by tempo.co.
Rita was named a suspect on Sept. 26 in a case related to a permit issuance for an oil palm plantation to PT Sawit Golden Prima in Kupang Baru village, Muara Kaman district in Kutai Kartanegara.
KPK has accused Rita of receiving Rp 6 billion (US$444,313) in bribes from PT Sawit’s president director Hery Susanto, who has also been named a suspect. (rin)
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Jakpost guide to Pasar Modern Bintaro
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- This is why you’re sweating during sleep
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama
- Four kids, riding motorbike without helmets, taught valuable lesson by cop
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India