Alexis, ‘morality’ politics and an exercise in futility
The title of the Indonesian version of my book Sex, Power and Nation is Agama, Seks dan Kekuasaan (Religion, Sex and Power), but it could also be the title of Anies Baswedan’s and Sandiaga Uno’s new governorship, at least the beginning.
The reason? Their first gebrakan (strike) was to close down the Alexis Hotel, reportedly a “den of immorality.” It was in fact one of their campaig...
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- Baby lobster smugglers arrested
- Kaum Jakarta named capital's restaurant of the year