Novel to undergo surgery in Singapore
The Jakarta Post
Top Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigator Novel Baswedan is scheduled to undergo a surgery on his left eye, which was severely damaged in an acid attack in April, in Singapore on Wednesday.
"God willing, today, Novel Baswedan will undergo surgery to add membrane to his eye because of a lack of progress in the recovery of his left eye," Dahnil Anzar Simanjuntak, the chairman of the youth wing of Indonesia's second biggest Islamic organization Muhammadiyah, said in a statement on Wednesday morning.
Dahnil added that the procedure was scheduled at 6:30 p.m. local time.Read also: Novel case difficult to solve: Police
Wednesday's surgery will be one of the major procedures on Novel's left eye after he underwent surgery in August. The surgery, originally scheduled in October, was postponed due to the slow recovery of Novel, who had been placed in the intensive care unit.
Acid was splashed onto Novel's face by two people riding on a motorbike in the early hours of April 11 in Kelapa Gading, North Jakarta.
Although suspects have yet to be named, the Jakarta Police recently issued sketches of the two alleged perpetrators.
At the time of the attack, Novel was leading a major investigation into the e-ID case, which has implicated dozens of high-ranking politicians. (dmr)
- Thousands protest in Jakarta against Trump's Jerusalem move
- "Where are the trees?," Jokowi slams green programs
- Indonesia seeks to impose import duties on intangible goods
- Indonesia to voice developmental concerns at WTO conference
- Saudi Arabia hails Iraq victory over IS
- Major recall of Lactalis baby milk over salmonella fears
- Lippo to hold rights issue in first quarter of 2018
- Potatoes for peace: how the humble tuber stopped conflict in Europe
- Three suspected terrorists arrested in East Java
- Celebs sleep rough to raise money for Scotland's homeless