Jakarta, Bekasi police deploy community officers ahead of elections
The Jakarta Post
Ahead of this year's local and general elections, the police have started deploying officers to community units (RW) in Jakarta and Bekasi.
South Jakarta Police have stationed dozens of personnel in every community unit in Pesanggrahan and Cilandak while Bekasi Police are preparing 1,700 personnel for the program, known as community police.
South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Indra Jafar inaugurated the officials and instructed them on Saturday to provide accurate information to residents to prevent the spread of fake news and rumors provoking people.
“Cyber crime is on the rise. Fake news can spread quickly and threaten security,” Indra said as reported by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
In an effort to counter radicalism and terrorism, the National Police initiated the community police program in 2015 and modeled it after Japan’s neighborhood police, Koban, and the United Kingdom's Neighborhood Watch.
Bekasi Police chief Sr. Comr. Indarto said the officials would work with residents to solve local problems.
“For example, if there has been a surge in street buskers entering an area, the community police will discuss with residents on how to settle the problem,” he said.
The officials will also be stationed in areas nearby their own homes.
The concurrent local elections will be held in 171 regions on June 27 while the legislative and presidential elections will be held next year. (ami/wit)
- TV program under fire for showing protected giant clam being cooked
- Group touts Susi Pudjiastuti as Jokowi’s running mate
- New rule no 'carte blanche' for foreign workers: Minister
- Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, taken to hospital to give birth to third child
- Government issues revised regulation on tax holidays
- Palm oil exports fall by 14% in February: Gapki
- EDITORIAL: When interests collide
- Landslide damages house in Depok
- Indonesian-made messaging app Callind launches in Jakarta
- Driver named suspect after death of toddler in East Jakarta