Rescued Sumatran tiger is improving, says conservation group
The Jakarta Post
A Sumatran tiger named Bonita that was recently caught in Indragiri Hilir regency, Riau, after a 100-day hunt is now under the watchful eye of the Arsari Djojohadikusumo Foundation’s (YAD) medical team.
Bonita was weak and refused to eat when she first arrived at the Dharmasraya Sumatran Tiger Rehabilitation Center (PRHSD) in West Sumatra on Saturday, according to YAD executive director Catrini Pratihari Kubontubuh
“On Sunday, a team of veterinarians took samples of her blood and treated her for two hours. The team found several diseases, such as a tumor located under the skin around her stomach. The team performed surgery to remove the tumor; it’s not [malignant],” Catrini told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday.
She added that Bonita’s condition had been improving in the last two days.
“We gave her a chicken and she was able to catch it by herself, just like in her natural habitat. She previously refused to eat, maybe because she was too tired. It took 20 hours to bring her to the rehabilitation center from where she was caught. Throughout the trip, she had to be kept conscious,” Catrini said, adding that it was prohibited to use anesthesia on animals that were being transported.
She rejected rumors claiming that Bonita suffered from obesity.
“She weighs around 82 kilograms; that’s normal for a 4-year-old tiger.”
Claims were also made that Bonita might be pregnant, which the veterinarian team has been unable to confirm.
“We’ll need to check that using an ultrasound,” Catrini said. (ebf)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump
- US policeman fatally shoots black guard who detained gunman