KPK grills PDI-P, Golkar, Democratic politicians in e-ID case
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) is intensifying its investigation into politicians in the rigged procurement of the e-ID project.
On Monday, the KPK was scheduled to question five former and current lawmakers as witnesses in relation to two suspects in the case, namely businessmen Made Oka Masagung and Irvanto Hendra Pambudi – the latter is also the nephew of ex-House of Representatives speaker and graft convict Setya Novanto.
The politicians were the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle’s (PDI-P) Arif Wibowo, the Democratic Party’s Mirwan Amir and Khatibul Umam, as well as the Golkar Party’s Agun Gunanjar, Melchias Markus Mekeng and current House Speaker Bambang Soesatyo.
“We are clarifying the disbursement of illicit money from the case and the budgeting process [for the project]. We’re also clarifying testimony made in the trials of other suspects about the flow of funds to several lawmakers,” KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said.
All arrived to answer the summons except Bambang, who sent a letter explaining his absence from Monday’s questioning. “I asked for the questioning to be rescheduled because of my tight schedule in the House,” Bambang said on Monday according to a statement.
Febri confirmed the letter, adding “investigators will study the letter and reschedule the questioning for Bambang.”
The KPK named in March both businessmen as suspects in the e-ID case, which reportedly caused Rp 2.3 trillion (US$165 million) in state losses, for allegedly collecting sums of money that were eventually channeled to Setya, who has been convicted in the case. (evi)
- Google Search introduces new feature to reduce clicks
- Shots fired at US embassy in Ankara, no casualties
- Pontianak urges school closure for smog
- Asian Games: Poor ticket handling after spectacular opening
- BREAKING: Another 7-magnitude quake hits Lombok
- Asian Games: Flags rise again for swimming medalists after Sun's demand
- Trump lashes out at Russia probe as 'McCarthyism'
- Model claiming Trump secrets pleads not guilty in Thailand case
- Asian Games: We need more experience, says Indonesia wrestling team after failur...
- Four Japan athletes booted from Asian Games in prostitute scandal