Garuda workers agree not to strike: Minister
The Jakarta Post
Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Luhut Pandjaitan claimed that there would be no strike by employees of national flag carrier Garuda Indonesia, including its pilots, who initially threatened to strike because of their disappointment with the management.
Luhut said Garuda Indonesia’s operations would carry on normally, with employees and management scheduled to meet to resolve their differences.
“If there is input [from employees], it is good. There is no problem. [We told them] not to strike and they agreed,” said Luhut in Jakarta on Monday as reported by kompas.com.
He said the meeting between Garuda Indonesia management and employees’ representatives aimed seek a solution to complaints from the Garuda Indonesia Pilots' Association (APG) and other airline employees.
Luhut told both Garuda Indonesia employees and management to prioritize communication and to avoid a strike so that the airline could continue to fulfill the rights of its customers.
“All agree that there would be no strike as long as their aspirations are heard. [The management] has listened to their aspirations,” Luhut said, adding that the government would also meet with the employees’ representatives.
The Garuda Indonesia Pilots' Association (APG) and the Garuda Labor Union (Sekarga) had initially threatened to strike unless the government stepped in to help resolve "managerial problems" at the flag carrier, namely that they were allegedly causing continued decline in the company's performance. (bbn)
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices