PAN 'seriously considering' Amien Rais as presidential candidate
The Jakarta Post
National Mandate Party (PAN) deputy chairman Viva Yoga Mauladi has said that the party was seriously considering its founder and honorary council head, Amien Rais, to run for president in the 2019 election.
Viva said the party believed that the former People’s Consultative Assembly (MPR) speaker had the capacity to lead Indonesia.
“Pak Amien has the integrity to become a national leader. He loves NKRI [the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia] and the Indonesian people,” Viva said in Jakarta, as quoted by kompas.com on Sunday.
The primary figure behind the 1998 Reform movement also had a clear concept to lead Indonesia in achieving the goals of independence, he added.
Amien has been one of most outspoken critics of President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, and has been named as one of the politicians reportedly throwing their weight behind the #2019Ganti President movement.
Viva said that although Amien was 74 years old, he was still in excellent physical health, so he was capable of fulfilling his duty.
Apart from Amien, several other PAN leaders are being pitched as candidates, including PAN chairman Zulkifli Hasan, former party chairman Hatta Rajasa and advisory council head Sutrisno Bachir.
“After the regional elections on June 27, PAN will hold a national working meeting to decide on its candidates for president and vice president,” said Viva. (hol/ebf)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says