Agus Yudhoyono considers running with VP Kalla in 2019 election
The Jakarta Post
Democratic Party executive Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono is considering contesting next year's presidential race alongside Vice President Jusuf Kalla.
Agus, the son of the party's patron Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, said he was exploring the possibility of running in the election as Kalla's vice president should a potential Kalla-AHY ticket manage to garner enough support.
"It [the Kalla-AHY option] is definitely under our consideration," Agus stated at his office in South Jakarta on Wednesday.
Agus said, however, that the Democratic Party would remain open to other possibilities, and would continue to study other potential candidates.
Agus said that among the requirements he looked for from a potential partner in the election was the ability to help set up a coalition of parties that would control 20 percent of seats in the House of Representatives or 25 percent of the popular vote, the presidential threshold required by the 2017 Elections Law.
"We must make careful calculations. No matter how enthusiastic we are, we must remember there is the presidential threshold we must fulfill [in order to nominate a presidential candidate pair]," Agus said.
He added that the Democratic Party would carefully search for partners it could establish a coalition with that would meet the presidential threshold requirement.
The Democratic Party's move to consider a Kalla-AHY ticket emerged following the party's recent announcement of its aspiration to establish "Koalisi Kerakyatan" (Populist Coalition) as an alternative to the ruling coalition that is set to back President Joko "Jokowi" Widow's bid for a second term. (ebf)
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- Taliban kill 30 soldiers in first major attack since ceasefire, governor says