GBK stadium, jogging track closed to public ahead of Asiad
The Jakarta Post
Gelora Bung Karno (GBK) Sports Complex’s main stadium and jogging track in Senayan, Central Jakarta, has been closed to the public since Tuesday amid ongoing construction in the area.
Preparations are under way at the sports complex for the Asian Games, which will kick off on Aug. 18.
Indonesian Asian Games Organizing Committee (INASGOC) spokesman Danny Buldansyah said the area had been closed to ensure visitor safety.
“There is a lot of construction work going on ahead of the event. It’s hard for us to ensure visitors’ safety and convenience,” Danny said on Tuesday as quoted by tempo.co.
Another INASGOC spokesman, Ihsan Zuyadi, said completion of construction work could be compromised should visitors continue to be allowed at the complex.
Therefore, the area had been closed to the public, he said.
Meanwhile, the space besides the main stadium, including the parking lot, can still be accessed by visitors. (cal)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world