Jakarta Forestry Agency gets Rp 104 billion for expansion of public cemeteries
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta City Council’s budget committee agreed on Thursday to provide the Jakarta Forestry Agency with Rp 104 billion (US$7 million) in funds for the expansion of public cemeteries and to add more cemetery facilities.
Land availability and land procurement have long been core issues surrounding many city projects, resulting in a "cemetery crisis" in the city.
The forestry agency had thus far found 22 hectares of available land that it would use to build a new cemetery in Rorotan subdistrict, Cilincing district, North Jakarta, agency head Djafar Muchlisin said.
The budget approved in the meeting on Thursday at the City Council building comprised Rp 100 billion for land procurement and Rp 4 billion for facilities and funeral procession subsidies for poor families.
Jakarta’s "cemetery crisis" is due to the fact that residents tend to flock to more strategically located cemeteries, such as Karet Bivak and Menteng Pulo in Central Jakarta and Pondok Kelapa in East Jakarta. Cemeteries on the outskirts of the city, such as Pondok Ranggon, Tegal Alur and Serengseng, have space available.
Djafar estimated that 120 residents pass away per month, leaving the city with enough burial space for about two more years.
The city previously issued a policy that states that only city residents or those who died in the city can be buried in public cemeteries. (nor)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Huawei gives free power banks to people queuing for new iPhone
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT