JT610: Flight data recorder recovered
Ivany Atina Arbi
The Jakarta Post
It has been confirmed that the flight data recorder (FDR) from Lion Air flight JT610, which crashed into the Java Sea on Monday, was recovered at around 10:05 a.m. on Thursday, the fourth day of search efforts.
“Thank God we have found a part of a black box, and we will continue our search efforts to find the remaining parts,” head of the National Search and Rescue Agency M. Syaugi said, referring to the term used to describe an FDR and a cockpit voice recorder (CVR).
The FDR records variables like airspeed, altitude, heading and vertical acceleration. Meanwhile the CVR records verbal communication between crew members within the aircraft’s cockpit.
The FDR was brought to the surface by two Navy divers and has been sent to the National Transportation Safety Committee (KNKT) headquarters in Jakarta for further investigation.
In addition to the flight recorder, the search team found a piece of the aircraft measuring 1.5 meters long and 0.5m wide, this had also been brought to the surface, said Syaugi.
The team will continue to search for bigger parts of the plane and victims’ bodies. So far 56 body bags containing body parts of victims have been taken to the Kramat Jati Police Hospital in East Jakarta, for identification.
Forensic doctors and DNA experts at the hospital have so far managed to identify one victim, Jannatun Cintya Dewi, 24, by matching her fingerprints with antemortem data. (swd)
- Surfer severely mauled by shark in Australia
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Hummingbirds thrive at innovative Mexico gardens
- They played dead on the ground: Survivor recounts OPM massacre
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Garuda Indonesia takes passengers on trip to 1980s
- Sexual harassment in the sky: Hong Kong flight attendants fight back
- Women accuse famous Brazil spiritual 'healer' of sex abuse