‘We’re only fighting fires of past sinners’: Luhut defends govt's palm oil support
The Jakarta Post
Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan has rebuffed claims that he and the government were not paying attention to the deforestation and forest fires caused by oil palm plantations.
He said he was also worried about their environmental impacts on younger generations, but he claimed the government was struggling to make progress since the land concessions for the plantations, some of which were on fire-prone peatlands, had been given out by past governments.
“We’re just fighting fires [created by] past sinners,” he said during a press conference at his office in Central Jakarta on Friday, as quoted by tempo.co.
Luhut reiterated his derision for environmental group Greenpeace Indonesia, which had disrupted the operations of a tanker carrying palm oil belonging to the Wilmar trading company in the Bay of Cadiz near Spain, saying that the government has every right to question the local chapter of an international group.
However, he denied allegations that the government had not done anything to achieve a sustainable palm oil industry. The government, he said, would next year release its One Map, an integrated map recording land ownership all across the country.
“Those who make noise now will later be proven to have four or five properties,” said Luhut. “Those who claim to be poor cannot hide that they have land everywhere.”
He said the map would also reveal the operations of companies like Wilmar and whether they are linked to plantations in protected areas.
Luhut said he was the one who had been tasked by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo to lead a team to quell forest fires in 2015, which were among the worst ever experienced in the country.
While he said it was previous administrations that had carelessly issued land concessions, he lamented how people now criticized Jokowi, who was the one who banned the expansion of plantations on peatlands and the expansion of oil palm plantations.
Luhut claimed that not a single plantation concession has been issued during the Jokowi administration.
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Lotte Chemical Indonesia begins construction of plant in Cilegon
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- TNI denies explosive use during rescue after Papua shootings
- Tips to help you brew better coffee at home
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Environmentalists face greater risks amid development drive
- Indonesia’s e-commerce sales predicted to reach US$65b in 2022