Mandalika promotes Sekotong area in West Lombok
The Jakarta Post
The Mandalika Special Economic Zones (KEK) is shining the spotlight on Sekotong in West Lombok. The area houses small islands such as Gili Nanggu, Gili Tangkong, Gili Kedis, Gili Sudak, Gili Layar and Gili Rengit.
The tourism ministry together with several tourism practitioners in Sekotong has come up with a tour package of traveling the small islands in Sekotong.
“In Sekotong area, tourists can stay in hotels, bungalows or homestays such as Cocotinus Hotel and bungalows in Gili Nanggu and Gili Sudak,” said the ministry's head of development acceleration for priority tourist destinations, Hiramsyah S. Thaib.
Read also: 10 must-try traditional dishes in Lombok
Several activities highlighted for visitors to these small islands include snorkeling, diving, sunset and sunrise viewings.
The average of tourist visits per day ranges between 200 – 300 visitors who arrive via public or charter boats. Tourists need to pay Rp 5,000 ($0.5) retribution fee in order to explore the place.
However, the area still lacks fresh water supply as up until today, fresh water needs in Gili Nanggu is still catered using underwater pipes that are implemented under the sea.
Tourism minister, Arief Yahya encourages investors to build the marine infrastructure to attract more tourists. "Seven out of the top 10 priority destinations launched by President Joko Widodo is marine tourism. When the amenities and access have already been completed, Sekotong will become an attraction in its own right for tourists who are visiting Lombok," he said. (asw)
- High alert: Mt. Agung eruption imminent
- Dust off your shoulder pads -- 'Dynasty' is back
- No prediction when Mt. Agung will erupt: BNPB
- Mitra Keluarga Hospital punished for neglecting patient
- Jokowi to hand over Rp 7.1b to Mount Agung evacuees
- Private lenders partake in Greater Jakarta LRT project
- Jokowi to visit Mount Agung evacuees in Klungkung
- BPJS expected to suffer Rp 9t deficit this year: Official
- Report reveals 38 deaths linked to lack of healthcare services in Yahukimo
- Fight Kim Jong-un instead of Duterte? Trudeau did not say that