The Jakarta Post
Home Minister Tjahjo Kumolo says the Home Ministry will place more stringent procedures on its new tender for electronic identification card (e-KTP) procurement.
Fifty days would be needed to complete the process, starting from the tender to the distribution of cards, he continued.
“The Home Ministry will make sure the [new] tender runs within the proper procedures and is completed by the end of March at the latest. The ministry’s Population and Civil Registration Agency [Dukcapil] will distribute e-KTPs to areas that are facing shortages in blank cards,” Tjahjo said as quoted by kompas.com in Jakarta on Monday.
He said the ministry was striving to ensure that the new tender, which had been conducted since Feb.16, would run smoothly.
“The Home Ministry has also consulted with the National Procurement Agency [LKPP],” said Tjahjo.
As reported earlier, the procurement of e-KTP blank cards was delayed because the participants of a previous tender last December all failed to fulfil the necessary requirements.
As a result, the Population and Civil Registration Agency have only been providing temporary identification letters to residents who have already registered their biometric data.
Speaking on the ministry’s behalf, Tjahjo apologized to the public for the e-KTP’s delayed implementation.
He said stricter procedures were necessary because alleged irregularities in the previous procurement process had been reported to the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) for further investigation.
The KPK estimated that the e-KTP project, which began in 2012, had caused Rp 2 trillion (US$149.97 million) in state losses.
“In holding another tender, we must be careful, both procedurally and systematically. We are working toward doing things properly,” said Tjahjo. (rdi/ebf)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x