Violence returns to Maluku during tribute to hero
The Jakarta Post
Violence erupted during a torch procession to honor national hero Thomas “Pattimura” Matulessy, leaving at least 51 injured and dozens of vehicles and houses burned in Ambon, Maluku.
The incident evoked bitter memories of the sectarian clashes of 1999–2002, which saw thousands killed in the region and left hundreds of thousands more displaced.
Minor clashes have since haunted t...
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- Kaum Jakarta named capital's restaurant of the year
- In one tweet, Kylie Jenner wiped out $1.3 billion of Snap’s market value