Violence returns to Maluku during tribute to hero
The Jakarta Post
Violence erupted during a torch procession to honor national hero Thomas “Pattimura” Matulessy, leaving at least 51 injured and dozens of vehicles and houses burned in Ambon, Maluku.
The incident evoked bitter memories of the sectarian clashes of 1999–2002, which saw thousands killed in the region and left hundreds of thousands more displaced.
Minor clashes have since haunted t...
- Freeport seeks settlement
- Indonesia ready for Freeport tribunal
- Police to investigate North Korean restaurant on spy activity
- Muslim group promises no violence at anti-Ahok rally
- Freeport gives government four months to negotiate new settlement
- Jakarta Police to deploy 10,000 personnel to anti-Ahok rally
- Indonesia's tough stance causes headache for tuna exporters
- Police terminate investigation into UI lecturer’s alleged blasphemy
- Millenials ask Jokowi questions, their way
- Government may need to borrow for certain spending: Sri Mulyani