The Kota Raja Festival, showcasing an array of cultural and arts activities, is being held to celebrate the 230th anniversary of the city of Tenggarong, East Kalimantan. Lots to enjoy
Opened on Sept. 24, the festival continues through Nov. 11, 2012.
There will be traditional arts on show, including all-night leather puppet performances, and contemporary arts, short film screenings, a fashion show, rock music concerts and a photo contest.
Workshops on the local traditional Jepen dance and traditional fashion competitions are also on the agenda.
Popular Brazilian band Sepultura will set pulses racing with a performance at Aji Imbut Tenggarong Stadium on Friday, Nov. 9. Local artists will also demonstrate their musical talents and skills in performances at Rondong Demang Stadium on Nov. 11.
Kutai Kartanegara Regent Rita Widyasari said the series of activities held to celebrate the anniversary of Tenggarong City would encourage locals to develop the city into a more creative and entrepreneur-based area that appreciates local cultural wisdom.
Rita made her remarks during a plenary session at Kutai Kartanegara’s Regional Legislative Council, held in conjunction with Tenggarong City’s anniversary on Sept. 28.
The festival is part of intensive endeavors to nurture an entrepreneurial spirit among the community and local government by maximizing existing potential and improving the welfare of local people through adhering to local wisdom.
“I hope that through the Kota Raja Festival, the community can appreciate local culture so that our culture will not experience what is called ‘the end of history’,” she said.
The festival is guaranteed to entertain local residents and visitors, especially on the weekend leading up to the climax on Nov. 11.
“This is a good beginning. Following the successful holding of the series of programs, the Kota Raja Festival is expected to be included in the annual agenda for Tenggarong City’s anniversary,” said Kutai Kartanegara Tourism and Culture Office head Sri Wahyuni.
The festival is aimed at attracting more tourists to Tenggarong, which is part of the tourism and culture office’s tasks. “Through the festival, we are also eager to provide support and positive entertainment and thematic education for the public at large,” she said.
“On top of that, we are also eager to provide room and an opportunity for stakeholders engaged in culture, tourism and the creative economy to boost their presence and enhance their capacity and competence,” she said.
“The festival is expected to be a monumental and sustainable event, and become part of the significant promotional programs to boost domestic and foreign tourist arrivals.”
1. A concert at Aji Imbut Stadium, featuring the Brazilian thrash metal band Sepultura (Nov. 9)
2. Rock music festival, along with arts and attractions from a number of communities, at Rondong Demang Stadium (Nov. 9)
Recent and ongoing activities
1. Kukar Art Fashion Carnival workshop, Jepen dance workshop, Kamiskatday fashion contest
2. Pilgrimage to the grave of Ali Imbut (also known as A.M. Muslihuddin), the founder of Tenggarong at the Kutai graveyard next to Mulawarman Museum (Sept. 28).
3. All-night wayang kulit show at the regent’s office (Oct. 29).
4. Etam party and arts festival at the Seni Tepian Pandan Market (Oct. 6-7)
5. Jepen gymnastics for students, casual bicycling, keraton art session, short-film festival, Teruna 6. Dara Kukar election of 2012, and Koetai Doloe Tempo.
6. Lubang Jarum photography workshop at Kedaton Kutai Kartanegara (Oct. 18) and East Kalimantan Jepen dance festival at the Seni Tepian Pandan market (Oct. 21-22).
7. Kukar Art Fashion Carnival with the members of Jember Fashion Carnival (Oct. 20)
8.Night Sky party, marked with the release of 1,500 lanterns from Kumala Island.
9.Night festival at the Rondong Demang Stadium parking grounds, featuring local bands.
The FKR-230 will run from Sept. 24 until Nov. 11:
• Content from the Tourism and Cultural Affairs Agency, with a range of educational and fun activities
• Some 31 activities in total:
1. Kukar Fashion Art Carnival
2. Etam Party
3. National Art Show
4. Keraton Kutai Arts Show
5. East Kalimantan short film festival
6. Teruna Dara Kukar election
7. Kutai Tempo Dulu
8. ARTernative FOTOFest
9. Student Art Festival
10. Popular music show
11. Tenggarong Healthy, Clean and Green
12. Night sky festival
13. Spekta show
14. Kukar New Wave
Kutai Kartanegara’s collaborations with other parties:
1. Spreading flowers at the Kutai king’s grave (in collaboration with the Tenggarong district)
2. Wayang show (in collaboration with the National Wayang Museum)
3. East Kalimantan Jepen Festival (in collaboration with Yayasan TOTAL)
4. Art workshop (in collaboration with the Tourism and Creative Economy Ministry)
5. Kukar Rockin’ Fest (in collaboration with the Distorsi Workaholic Company)
Other parts of the Kota Raja Festival:
6. Regional Legislative Council plenary session
7. Kamiskat Day (Pelangi Production)
8. Jepen Gymnastics (Youth and Sports Ministry)
9. Gowes to Smanda (SMAN 2)
10. Yamaha Festival (Kaltim Post)
11. Bonggol Jagung training (Industry, Trade and Corporations Agency)
12. BRItama festival (BRI)
Paper Edition | Page: 21