Bloody day in south Thailand: 2 killed in Pattani, 5 injured in Narathiwat
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
A man and a woman were gunned down on Monday in broad daylight while shopping in a market in Pattani's Nong Chik district.
The victims, who were killed in separate attacks, were identified as Thoom Lekpetch, 49 of Nong Chik and Klong Boonkarn, 45, of Songkhla's Na Mom district. Thoom was shot three times in the back while Klong was shot five times in the head and body.
Initial police investigation showed that Thoom was shopping for food in the market when a man who had been following her fired at her from the back. He continued shooting even after she fell than fled the scene.
At almost the same time, a group of assailants opened fire at Klong who was on a motorcycle waiting for his stepfather. They continued shooting after he had fallen to the ground.
Meanwhile five rangers were wounded when a bomb exploded inside a school in Narathiwat's Joh I Rong district.
The investigative team found a hole in Ban Ju Woh School's front wall. About 10 bicycles belonging to students were also damaged.
According to the police report, the unit of 12 rangers had retreated to a pavilion near the front wall after checking security inside the school when the bomb went off. All suffered shrapnel wounds.
You might also like :
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Commentary: Another side of the elderly: You reap what you sow
- Empty Jakarta during Idul Fitri serves as Instagrammable photo opportunity
- One dead, five wounded in Malmo shooting: police
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan dies aged 62
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- BREAKING: Boat with 80 passengers capsizes in Lake Toba
- One killed after Lake Toba vessel capsizes