Bloody day in south Thailand: 2 killed in Pattani, 5 injured in Narathiwat
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
A man and a woman were gunned down on Monday in broad daylight while shopping in a market in Pattani's Nong Chik district.
The victims, who were killed in separate attacks, were identified as Thoom Lekpetch, 49 of Nong Chik and Klong Boonkarn, 45, of Songkhla's Na Mom district. Thoom was shot three times in the back while Klong was shot five times in the head and body.
Initial police investigation showed that Thoom was shopping for food in the market when a man who had been following her fired at her from the back. He continued shooting even after she fell than fled the scene.
At almost the same time, a group of assailants opened fire at Klong who was on a motorcycle waiting for his stepfather. They continued shooting after he had fallen to the ground.
Meanwhile five rangers were wounded when a bomb exploded inside a school in Narathiwat's Joh I Rong district.
The investigative team found a hole in Ban Ju Woh School's front wall. About 10 bicycles belonging to students were also damaged.
According to the police report, the unit of 12 rangers had retreated to a pavilion near the front wall after checking security inside the school when the bomb went off. All suffered shrapnel wounds.
You might also like :
- Teary Veronica reads Ahok letter on reasons for appeal withdrawal
- Widespread hotspots mark the start of dry season: BMKG
- RI seeks release of patrol crew member held hostage in Vietnam via diplomacy
- EDITORIAL: Well-deserved rating upgrade
- Raid on suspected gay sex party based on law: Police
- Djarot wants dedicated sites for hawkers
- Golkar must support KPK: Ethics board
- Two suspects of UII hazing surrender
- Toshiba turns to enterprises to boost laptop sales
- Golkar Party should start selecting VP candidates: Aburizal