National scene: House support plans to buy Russian submarine
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The government's plan to purchase Kilo-class submarines from Russia has received support from the House of Representatives Commission I overseeing defense and foreign affairs.
According to the commission's member Sukamta, the Indonesian Military (TNI) had proposed a budget of Rp 37 trillion (US$2.51 billion) and an additional budget allocation of Rp 14.5 trillion for the Navy (TNI AL), larger than the budget allocations for the Army (TNI AD) and the Air Force (TNI AU).
'Indonesia is a maritime country, since around 70 percent of its territory is oceanic, so sea security must be prioritized,' said Sukamta on Tuesday as quoted by Antara news agency.
Sukamta said the submarine was currently the most sophisticated of its kind.
'It's similar to the Sukhoi SU-35 aircraft, which the Air Force wanted to have,' said Sukamta.
He then referred to the upcoming ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) that would be faced by Indonesia as well as the potential for conflict in the South China Sea.
'[Increasingly] our maritime defense and security is becoming a priority,' said Sukamta.
You might also like :
- Christie's to auction rare watch once owned by Egyptian king
- Canned sardines contaminated with thread worms, BPOM confirms
- PDI-P strengthens ties with Golkar
- Jakarta to see medium rain but remain hot during equinox
- Freeport has cost $13 billion losses in environmental damage, says BPK
- Tax office eyes 14m taxpayers' annual reports this year
- Marine personnel rebuild roads, houses ahead of naval exercises
- Piles of trash continue to flow onto Tangerang shore
- Brunei, Indonesia work on new hybrid paddy varieties
- E-cigarettes more likely to get people started on smoking: Study