Alleged IS sympathizer flown to Jakarta to be probed further
The Jakarta Post
The police will further their investigation into Azni Muzakkir, aka Abdul Zakir, a 44-year-old Indonesian citizen deported from Japan on Tuesday for his alleged connections to the Islamic State (IS) radical movement.
Azni was detained by immigration officers at Ngurah Rai Internal Airport, Bali, on Wednesday and was taken into Bali Police's custody.
National Police spokesperson Martinus Sitompul said at the National Police headquarters that Azni was currently in Bali but would be sent to Jakarta for further investigation. A team from the police’s Densus 88 counterterrorism squad would be waiting for him at Soekarno-Hatta airport.
Martinus said that according to the information gathered by police, his connection to IS was still unverified, as he only might have had problems with documentation or overstayed his visit.
"The police takes terrorism seriously, and if there's an indication that he's related [to IS] we'll arrest him. If it's not proven he's [connected with IS], we'll release him through the Ministry of Social Affairs," he said.
Currently, the Bambu Apus shelter in East Jakarta houses 75 people deported from Turkey, Singapore and Japan for allegedly trying to join IS in Syria.
Martinus said the police had been profiling individuals connected to terrorist groups, including IS, and had mapped and monitored arrivals and departures from the country. (dis/yan)
You might also like :
- Taipei guide: Four places where fireflies light up the night sky
- Duterte says he can be 50 times more brutal than terrorists
- Six Singaporean military personnel deported after Batam raid
- Bali declared world's top destination for 2017
- Norwegian man caught stealing iPhone at Garuda lounge
- Nearing 100-day mark, Trump says milestone not 'meaningful'
- Kanye West, adidas announce launch of newest Yeezy sneakers
- The sad saga of North Korea's ATMs
- French stocks soar to near-decade highs as Macron tops poll
- Anies refuses to talk about programs until official election result