Yogyakarta is ideal place to develop creative industries: Jokowi
Fedina S. Sundaryani
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has called on the Yogyakarta administration and other stakeholders to pay serious attention to creative industries, stressing that the province is an ideal place for them.
Each province and region has a uniqueness that could be developed, the President added.
“The regions that do not have a lot of natural resources, such as Yogyakarta, should focus on the industries that are not dependent on natural resources, such as the creative and service industries,” he said at the State Palace in Jakarta on Thursday.
(Read also: Riding the waves at Wediombo Beach, Yogyakarta)
“I believe that in the future the creative and service industries will also boost the region’s economy because they would be dependent on innovative technology.”
Jokowi noted that in order to develop these sectors, Yogyakarta must invest in its human resources and supporting infrastructure. “We will not just develop physical infrastructure, but also social and cultural infrastructure,” he said.
As one of the country’s tourist destinations, the craft industry has grown well in the province. The main tourist icons of the province is Keraton Yogyakarta, an old palace of the Yogyakarta sultanate, Parangtritis Beach and many ancient temples.
Many other major tourist spots in Central Jakarta, whose locations are close to Yogyakarta, include Borobudur Temple, Prambanan Temple and another cultural town, Surakarta. (bbn)
- EDITORIAL: Strangers of the same race
- No deal yet on Freeport’s 51% share divestment: Luhut
- Model urges Kendari mayor to apologize for defaming her
- Airport train to start operating in November
- Escaped Malaysian prisoner believed to be in home country: Bali Police
- LNG import is a cheaper option: Luhut
- Indonesia projected to produce only 55,000 tons of salt this month
- Court orders First Travel to repay customers
- Jember airport development kicks off
- British couple's message in a bottle reaches Gaza