Riding the waves at Wediombo Beach, Yogyakarta
The Jakarta Post
Already a popular tourist destination, Yogyakarta is home to well-preserved cultural traditions, picturesque volcanic mountains, magnificent karst areas on Mount Sewu and gorgeous beaches stretching from Gunungkidul and Bantul to Kulon Progo regencies.
The beach is best explored between August and October. (JP/Stefanus Ajie)
One of the beaches, named Wediombo, is particularly interesting due to its combination of breathtaking scenery and big waves that will make surfers rejoice.
Situated in the south coast of Jepitu village in Gunungkidul, about 75 kilometers from Yogyakarta, surrounded by hills and forests, the beach is best explored between August and October. In addition to professional surfers, beginners can also have some fun as the water offers an assortment of waves.
Local residents fishing through traditional methods.(JP/Stefanus Ajie)
Tourists who do not have their own surfboards can easily rent one and learn how to surf from Wediombo Surf Society.
The destination also offers other activities for visitors, such as snorkeling, sunbathing and enjoying seafood. (kes)
Wediombo Surf Society offers surfboard rental as well as other activities. (JP/Stefanus Ajie)
- Ahok, sex, and a ghost story of democracy
- BREAKING NEWS: Explosions hit East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Eyewitness hears "two explosions" erupt in East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Suicide bomber, policeman killed in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- BREAKING NEWS: Police say explosions a suicide bombing
- Chaos erupts after suspected bomb blasts strike Kampung Melayu bus terminal
- Portrait of Myanmar's 'Buddhist Bin Laden' chills Cannes
- EDITORIAL: In step with the Nazis?
- Ahok resigns as Jakarta governor
- Officers hit by suicide bomb guarding pre-Ramadhan parade: Police