Suspected attacker of Novel released due to lack of evidence
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police have released Miko Panji Tirtayasa from custody following questioning at police headquarters.
Miko was arrested recently following suspicions of his possible involvement in the recent acid attack on Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigator Novel Baswedan. Miko is the nephew of graft convict Muhtar Efendi,
Police investigators released Miko due to a lack of evidence. “We checked his alibi and confirmed that he was not in Jakarta during the incident,” Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono told journalists on Friday.
Miko was arrested on Tuesday. The police later detained him for further questioning on Thursday.
In a video that went viral in early May, Miko said he was forced by KPK investigators to give false testimony against his uncle, Muhtar Efendi.
He also claimed that the KPK had given him money to compensate for his false statement. “He [Miko] said he made the video to express his resentment toward the KPK, saying he was intimidated by investigators from the anti-graft body,” Argo said.
The police are currently investigating other clues that might point to the perpetrators of the attack.
On Thursday, National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian said the police “would check evidence, witnesses, documents and bank details” to see whether Miko’s claims were true.
Miko is the fourth person released by the Jakarta Police due to a lack of evidence since Novel was attacked on April 11. (dis/ebf)
- Merapi coffee shop draws tourists to Sleman
- Indonesia considers joining TPP-11
- Teacher charged with child abuse for slapping students
- Ants that 'explode' to fight foes discovered on Borneo
- Garuda Indonesia's Kartini Flight features all-female pilots, cabin crew, groundcrew
- Janelle Monae plans dystopian film to accompany album
- Papuans celebrate womanhood in mangrove forest
- School accuses travel agency of fraud
- Bootleg liquor claims more lives in Bekasi
- Female baristas serve free coffee at Jakarta Kota Station