Graft convict's nephew arrested on suspicion of involvement in acid attack
The Jakarta Post
Miko Panji Tirtayasa, a nephew of graft convict Muhtar Efendi, has been arrested for alleged involvement in an acid attack on Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigator Novel Baswedan in April.
National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian said Miko had been identified as being among the people potentially involved in the attack, given his problems with the KPK's top investigator in the past.
Miko was arrested based on preliminary results of a police investigation into the attack. Police consider a video recording in which Miko allegedly vented his resentment of Novel as evidence. The recording went viral on social media.
“He is among parties with the highest potential to have carried out the attack. Of course, we will clarify his statement. We have coordinated with the KPK chairman [Agus Rahardjo],” Tito said as quoted by tribunnews.com in Jakarta on Thursday.
He said the arrest was based on the results of deductive investigation, which was focused on the collection of data and information on past graft cases that Novel had handled.
In a recently released video, a man identifying himself as “Miko Panji Tirtayasa, the nephew of Muhtar Efendi” claimed that he was forced to make a false statement during KPK questioning concerning a graft trial involving then Constitutional Court chief justice Akil Mochtar.
In the recording, the man claimed that Novel and his colleagues had intimidated him into making a false statement. He claimed that Akil and his uncle, Muhtar, were declared guilty of corruption because of his false statement. (dis/ebf)
- Transjakarta driver steals bus: Police
- Dutch national arrested over alleged hashish possession
- Why RCEP is more dangerous than Bilateral Investment Treaties
- Celebrities lash out at Trump’s decision to ban transgenders from military service
- Ahok donates Rp 200 million for dancing fountain renovation
- PAN to withdraw from KPK inquiry committee
- City to repair sidewalks with leftover budget from Semanggi project
- Cut! Regulators at odds with censors
- Redenomination not in near future: Jokowi
- Freeport yet to extend operating permit: Ministry