We don't mean to disrespect House: KPK
The Jakarta Post
Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) commissioner Laode M. Syarif said on Tuesday that the agency did not mean to disrespect the House of Representatives by refusing to send detained graft suspect and former lawmaker Miryam S. Haryani to testify before the House's controversial inquiry into the KPK.
Laode said the KPK would only comply with relevant laws and regulations that confirm the KPK's position as an independent body that shall be free from any interference. The KPK also previously said presenting Miryam to the political inquiry could obstruct the ongoing investigation into the multi-trillion rupiah e-ID case.
"We don't mean to snub the honorable House," Laode said as quoted by kompas.com.
The inquiry committee summoned Miryam on Monday to explain why she retracted her statement about being intimidated by several lawmakers.
Committee members were annoyed because the KPK wrote to them saying the summons could qualify as an obstruction of justice because the e-ID case was still under investigation.
In response, the lawmakers slammed the KPK for being arrogant and accused it of committing "contempt of the legislature."
"What the KPK said was a form of an impudence to the House," committee member Arsul Sani of the United Development Party (PPP) said.
Constitutional law experts and anti-corruption activists have declared support for the KPK and said that the inquiry is legally problematic because the House's right of inquiry is for monitoring the government, whereas the KPK is an independent body. (foy/bbs)
- Beware the dangers of pre-cooked meals
- Korean comedy-drama sparks uproar for 'disrespecting Islam'
- 4 cities in Indonesia where you can travel by foot
- Another cargo plane skids off runway in Papua
- WhatsApp adds Picture-in-Picture feature on Android 8.0
- Six ITB students injured by crumbling pillar
- Wonderful Indonesia Festival 2017 to grace Manila
- Foreign tourists flocked to Penyengat Island Festival 2017
- Jember crowned Indonesia's Carnival City
- Danilo completes Man City move