Thousands of Central Java villages threatened by drought
Ganug Nugroho Adi
The Jakarta Post
It is estimated that 1,235 villages in 266 districts in Central Java will face water shortages as a result of drought. The province’s Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) has supplied clean water to 10 regencies since July.
“Drought and a clean-water crisis have affected half of the areas across Central Java. We have supplied clean water to 46 villages, 22 districts and 10 regencies in the province. These include Blora, Boloyali, Klaten and Wonogiri,” said BPBD Central Java acting chairman Sarwa Pramana on Friday.
He further said it was predicted that this year’s drought in Central Java would affect around 1.4 million people in areas that frequently suffer water shortages during the dry season.
“We have not yet reached the peak of the dry season as rain is still falling in a number of areas. According to the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency [BMKG], the peak of the dry season will be in October. The BPBD mapped out drought-affected areas in July to take anticipatory measures,” said Sarwa.
He further said the agency had called on all regions to remain on alert and get prepared to issue an emergency alert status. The alert-status announcement was needed for the disbursement of funds to tackle the impacts of drought such as clean-water shortages and forest fires.
Sarwa said the Central Java administration had prepared Rp 600 million (US$ 44,917) for the province’s BPBD to supply clean water. For each BPBD in regencies and municipalities, it will provide between Rp 200 million and Rp 400 million. (ebf)
Musuk residents in Boyolali, Central Java, take water from an excavated well in a dried-up river recently. (JP/Ganug Nugroho Adi)
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Jakpost guide to Pasar Modern Bintaro
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- This is why you’re sweating during sleep
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Robin Williams possessions up for auction in New York