NTB Police arrest two in drug raids ahead of holidays
The Jakarta Post
The West Nusa Tenggara (NTB) Police have arrested two Lombok residents allegedly caught in possession of marijuana and magic mushrooms during a raid in Gili Trawangan, North Lombok.
The raid was part of increased security precautions taken in tourist destinations across the regency ahead of Christmas and New Year celebrations, said the NTB Police's vital object security director Adj.Sr.Comr. Gatut Kurniadin.
"We will continue to improve security for the comfort and safety of tourists visiting Gili," he told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday. "We will keep doing these types of raids."
The arrests were made on Tuesday evening when the police swept boarding houses and hotels in Gili Trawangan. The two suspects were identified as SN, 40, and SA, 25.
SN was caught holding one packet of marijuana, while SA had 40 bags of magic mushrooms and one packet of marijuana. They are now being detained at the North Lombok Police.
Besides the two suspects, police also arrested several people who lacked ID cards. They were later sent back to their hometowns.
Gatut said the raids would continue until the end of the year, as per the instructions of North Lombok authorities. Visitors will also be searched upon arriving on the island, he added.
"There will be inspections at ports and docks," he said. "Everyone, including foreign tourists, will be searched.” (kmt/ebf)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- Lion Air crash: 'I’m sure dad could swim his way out and survive the crash'
- When Jokowi’s ‘other women’ let their hair down
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official