NTB Police arrest two in drug raids ahead of holidays
The Jakarta Post
The West Nusa Tenggara (NTB) Police have arrested two Lombok residents allegedly caught in possession of marijuana and magic mushrooms during a raid in Gili Trawangan, North Lombok.
The raid was part of increased security precautions taken in tourist destinations across the regency ahead of Christmas and New Year celebrations, said the NTB Police's vital object security director Adj.Sr.Comr. Gatut Kurniadin.
"We will continue to improve security for the comfort and safety of tourists visiting Gili," he told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday. "We will keep doing these types of raids."
The arrests were made on Tuesday evening when the police swept boarding houses and hotels in Gili Trawangan. The two suspects were identified as SN, 40, and SA, 25.
SN was caught holding one packet of marijuana, while SA had 40 bags of magic mushrooms and one packet of marijuana. They are now being detained at the North Lombok Police.
Besides the two suspects, police also arrested several people who lacked ID cards. They were later sent back to their hometowns.
Gatut said the raids would continue until the end of the year, as per the instructions of North Lombok authorities. Visitors will also be searched upon arriving on the island, he added.
"There will be inspections at ports and docks," he said. "Everyone, including foreign tourists, will be searched.” (kmt/ebf)
- Thousands protest in Jakarta against Trump's Jerusalem move
- "Where are the trees?," Jokowi slams green programs
- Indonesia seeks to impose import duties on intangible goods
- Indonesia to voice developmental concerns at WTO conference
- Saudi Arabia hails Iraq victory over IS
- Major recall of Lactalis baby milk over salmonella fears
- Lippo to hold rights issue in first quarter of 2018
- Potatoes for peace: how the humble tuber stopped conflict in Europe
- Three suspected terrorists arrested in East Java
- Celebs sleep rough to raise money for Scotland's homeless