Democratic Party seeks confirmation of member’s arrest
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
The Democratic Party is seeking confirmation from the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) about reports that one of its senior members has been arrested on graft allegations.
The KPK announced that it had arrested nine people, including one lawmaker, in a raid on Friday evening. The commission declined to identify the lawmaker, only saying that he or she was a member of House of Representatives Commission XI on financial affairs.
Media reports, however, quoted a source within the KPK as saying that the lawmaker in question was a Democratic Party politician from West Java.
“We’re checking it [the allegation] with the KPK,” the party’s spokesperson, Imelda Sari, said.
She said the party would punish any of its members charged with corruption. “If they are proven [guilty], they will have their legislative seat revoked. We hope such an incident won't happen again,” Imelda said.
The Democratic Party, led by former president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, is the second-largest opposition party after Gerindra. It is now deciding whether to support President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo's reelection bid or challenge the incumbent candidate in 2019.
The party garnered the most votes during the 2009 legislative election when Yudhoyono was seeking a second term. The party’s popularity sank in 2014 following a series of graft allegations that plagued its members. (ahw)
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- What’s in store for final installment of BTS ‘Love Yourself’ saga
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- 'Monster Hunter' on hold as China hits pause on new video games
- Coal production at 37.11 percent of full-year target
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Remote China glacial lake bursts, no casualties
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia considers reducing imports of 500 consumer goods