Jakarta high schoolers organize TEDxYouth event
The Jakarta Post
The British School of Jakarta (BSJ) hosted a TEDxYouth talk for the very first time on Tuesday.
Organized by the students, the conference took place at the school's theater in South Tangerang and was opened with a video of Bill Gates' Ebola presentation followed by speeches from BSJ's final year students.
Themed "A World Unbound", each speaker had to come with a topic that touched on globalization.
Among the final year students, Winston Budiman, Christopher Carr, Philippe Pangestu, Nathania Silalahi and Audrey Simandjaja came up on stage as the speakers. They shared their opinions and experiences on various topics, including startups, modern democracy and social projects, namely the Tiny School Movement and Cyber Shanty.
(Read also: UGM law students beat Harvard in Argentina)
The event’s executive head organizer Bryan Kumara told The Jakarta Post that it took nine months for the team to prepare for BSJ TEDxYouth. “We applied for the license in January. In September, we began to organize the event, [thinking about] who would be the speakers and what equipment was needed," he said, adding that the school planned to hold the event annually.
Meanwhile, stage manager Tara Laksmono said TEDxYouth was inspiring as it gave the year 12 students something to look forward to for their final year of high school. “We can also see what our acquaintances have been up to,” she said. (kes)
You might also like :
- Drone captures widened crater fracture on Mt Agung
- Another coin-tossing elderly Chinese causes flight chaos
- Want to have fantastic eye health? These tips can help
- Freeport vehicles shot at by unidentified assailants
- Soekarno-Hatta to open ride-hailing transport booths
- Jakarta Fashion Week 2018 celebrates diversity in 10th anniversary
- S.Tangerang Police arrest man claiming to be FBR member for alleged extortion, violence
- Minister Susi to display 10 arrested foreign-flagged fishing vessels
- Sidewalk development in North Jakarta has reached 45% completion
- Jokowi inaugurates Mandalika economic zone