UGM law students beats Harvard in Argentina
The Jakarta Post
A team of Gadjah Mada University (UGM) law students won the title of Overall Highest Team Ranking in the Foreign Direct Investment International Arbitration Moot (FDI) held at the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina on Nov. 3 to 6.
The seven-membered team reportedly triumphed over teams from 58 other universities from 33 countries, including Harvard Law School, Paris Bar School, King's College London and the NALSAR University of Law.
In addition to the aforementioned title, the UGM team was also awarded with Second Best Memorial for Respondent, ranked seventh in Oral Rounds and three of its members were put on the list of 50 Best Advocates, namely Mutiara Khairunnisa, Rizki Karim and Amelia Rohana Sonang, according to the university's newsroom.
The dean of UGM's law school, Sigit Riyanto, told Antara news agency Monday that, “This is the highest achievement we've reached in FDI. UGM succeeded in achieving the title of overall winner based on their assessed performance throughout the oral rounds and written memorials."
The FDI is regarded as a prestigious arbitration competition worldwide in the field of international law investment. This year, the competition used the theme of disputes involving foreign investors who think their investments are being expropriated by the government.
Amelia explained that each team had to prepare two statements: one for the investor as a claimant and the other for the government as the respondent.
Tomi S. Utomo, who accompanied the UGM team, said the students had prepared themselves very well for the competition. “Hopefully this could serve as an example for other [students]. I don’t see them as mere college students, but also as skilled problem solvers for society.” (mra/kes)
You might also like :
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Child beggar coordinators arrested in Depok
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- Rp 1 trillion invested through Bareksa digital investment portal