TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

11 Chinese nationals charged for alleged involvement in fraud syndicate

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Thu, July 14, 2016   /  04:56 pm
11 Chinese nationals charged for alleged involvement in fraud syndicate Two Chinese nationals, Li Jieshu and Wu Kaiyong, who were found to be working illegally in Kunut village, Puruk Cahu regency, Central Kalimantan, wait inside the Central Kalimantan Immigration Office detention center. Immigration officials arrested them on April 1 for violating the terms of their visas. (Antara/Ronny NT)

Eleven Chinese nationals will face the law in Indonesia for their alleged involvement in an international fraud syndicate and for immigration violations, an immigration official said on Thursday.

The 11 Chinese nationals were among 31 Chinese arrested by the Bogor Immigration Office at a luxurious house in Bogor, West Java, on June 20. The other 20 have already been deported, Bogor Immigration Office head Herman Lukman said.

The 11 people allegedly served as the main actors in the fraud and have been implicated in similar cases previously. They were also charged with violating the terms of their residence permits. The immigration office is currently completing the case dossiers to be handed over to the prosecutor’s office as soon as possible, he said.

The Chinese nationals will be charged under the 2011 Law on Immigration.

"They could face a maximum five years in prison and a Rp 500 million (US$38,240) fine," Herman said on Thursday as quoted by kompas.com, adding that they are currently detained at the Immigration Detention Center in Kalideres in West Jakarta.

The immigration office decided to deport the 20 other Chinese Nationals based on several considerations, mainly the fact that they were victims of a scam and it was the first time they had violated the terms of Indonesian residence permits.

"We deported them on the second day of Idul Fitri on the morning of July 7. From our investigation, we found that the 20 people were victims. They came to Indonesia after being promised jobs, but they are illegal," he added.

The group are suspected of being part of an international fraud syndicate. During the raid, immigration officers confiscated 45 telephones, 34 mobile phones, four handy talky devices, two laptops, 17 internet modems, 20 Voice Over Internet (VoIP) devices, one car and one motorcycle. (rin)

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now