Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Family calls for immediate return of hostage escapee

  • Andi Hajramurni

    The Jakarta Post

Makassar, South Sulawesi   /   Fri, August 19, 2016   /  10:41 am
Family calls for immediate return of hostage escapee Mohammad Sofyan (right) is examined by physician Raden Ikbala after he escaped his captors on Wednesday. Sofyan fled when he was taken by the militants to a mangrove area in Luuk, Sulu, where his captors reportedly threatened to behead him. ( Alipala )

The family of Mohammad Sofyan, a member of the tugboat Charles 001 who managed to escape from his Abu Sayyaf captors in the Philippines on Wednesday, have said they hope the government will immediately return Sofyan to Indonesia.

“I’m here asking for [the government's] help to immediately return my husband to his hometown, so he can be with us again. We are really worried with his condition,” Sofyan’s wife, Sri Dewi, 21, told The Jakarta Post on Thursday.

Sri said she had received official notification of her husband's escape from the Foreign Ministry on Wednesday.  

“I got a phone call yesterday [Wednesday] from a Foreign Ministry official, who said my husband had escaped his Abu Sayyaf captors and that he is safe now,” she went on.

Sri said she and her family thanked God for receiving the good news after seeing Sofyan’s face on television. “Alhamdulillah [thank God]. We are really grateful that my husband finally managed to escape his captors safely,” she said.

Sri hoped to be able to speak to her husband for this first time in three months following his abduction.

Sri said Sofyan had made his last phone call in May before he departed for the Philippines, promising to return in good time to celebrate Idul Fitri with Sri and their 13-month-old son in their hometown in Mangara Bombang district, Takalar, South Sulawesi.

Sofyan had worked a crewmember based in Kalimantan for a year before the kidnapping occurred on June 21. He returned to Takalar once every three month. (ebf)

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now