TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Search stopped for possible casualties of Bogor landslides

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Thu, February 8, 2018   /   11:59 am
Search stopped for possible casualties of Bogor landslides The main road to the Puncak resort area of Bogor, West Java, is closed for 10 days starting on Wednesday to clean up the area following landslides that occurred during heavy rain. (Antara/-)

A joint search and rescue team has stopped its search for survivors of landslides in Bogor, West Java. The rescue effort was ended on Wednesday evening after three days of work.

Heavy rain in the regency last weekend had caused landslides in at least two districts of the Puncak resort area, namely Cisarua and Cijeruk.

Bogor Suryakencana military commander Col. Inf. Mohammad Hasan said he had deployed hundreds of personnel to find possible victims. “We did not see any signs of buried casualties,” Hasan said, as quoted by tempo.co.

Previously, a witness had told the police that he had seen a motorist being buried by a landslide. “The witness might have been in a state of trauma when stating that,” Mohammad added.

The next steps to clean up the regions following the landslides will be carried out by officials from the Public Works and Public Housing Ministry. Their work is scheduled to be completed by Feb. 17.

In the meantime, a number of roads will remain closed.

According to a report by tribunnews.com, there were five fatalities in the incident. One person was killed in the Cisarua landslides and another four by landslides in Cijeruk. (vny)