The Jakarta Post
Human rights activists have urged the National Police and the Indonesian Military to withdraw their joint operation from Alguru in Kenyam, Nduga regency, Papua, after a shootout between security personnel and unknown armed assailants.
“We urge the police and the military to stop their security operation in Alguru village,” the activists said in a press release on Saturday.
The activists, which comprised members of 13 non-governmental organizations, including the Papua Legal Aid Institute (LBH Papua) and the Papua chapter of the Indonesian Forum for Environment (Walhi Papua), said before a massive joint security operation on July 11 that shootings between the two parties had been intensifying over the past two months.
[RA::Papuans ask police to withdraw from Nduga::http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/07/13/papuans-ask-police-to-withdraw-from-nduga.html
“We recorded four shootings from June to July between the security personnel and the Papua National Liberation Army,” the human right activists said.
The joint security operation was launched following an attack on a Twin Otter aircraft carrying election material by unidentified assailants right after it landed at Kenyam airport on June 25. Three local residents were killed in the incident and the aircraft pilot suffered from a bullet wound to his back.
With almost 1,000 security personnel deployed to the area, activists said the residents felt uncomfortable living in their village. Many of them, fearing for their lives, have fled to nearby cities, such as Wamena and Yahokimo.
The situation, the activists said, made it difficult for the residents to access health and education facilities.