The Jakarta Post
The Bekasi administration has made good on its threat and temporarily blocked 51 garbage trucks from Jakarta heading to the Bantar Gebang dump in the West Java city, on the grounds that the capital city had yet to fulfil its obligations for dumping its waste at the site.
The Bekasi administration stopped the trucks on Wednesday morning near the Bekasi Barat tollgate on Jl. Ahmad Yani. The vehicles were eventually released at 2 a.m. on Thursday.
Bekasi Transportation Agency head Yayan Yuliana said that the Bekasi administration wanted to review the cooperation agreement between the West Java city and Jakarta, as the capital had not fulfilled its obligations, according to a kompas.com report.
Bekasi Transportation Agency officers halt some Jakarta dump trucks on their way to Bantar Gebang waste treatment facility in Bekasi, West Java, on Oct. 17, 2017. (Via kompas.com/Dinas Perhubungan Kota Bekasi)
For instance, said Yayan, the compactor trucks the Jakarta administration used did not comply with the standards Bekasi had set. The trucks also did not possess the required permits, he added.
Jakarta Environmental Agency head Isnawa Adji confirmed that 51 trucks had been stopped. "Trucks that still carried waste were allowed to dump the waste at Bantar Gebang," he said.
Earlier, the Bekasi administration threatened to block the trucks en route to the dump, as Jakarta had not paid the "compensation" as the two cities had agreed in their cooperation agreement.
Bekasi planned to use the compensation to develop the Rawa Panjang-Cipendawa flyover, which would ease the Jakarta garbage trucks’ journey to Bantar Gebang.
The estimated cost of clearing land for and developing the flyover is Rp 1 trillion (US$65.7 million). (cal)