Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Last suspect arrested in assault of military personnel

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Fri, December 14, 2018   /   06:51 pm
Last suspect arrested in assault of military personnel Police officers walk in front of Ciracas Police station in East Jakarta on Dec. 12. A mob destroyed and burned part of the building and a number of vehicles early on Wednesday. (The Jakarta Post/P.J.Leo )

The Jakarta Police arrested on Thursday night a man, identified only as D, 35, who is the last of the five suspects in an assault on two Indonesian military personnel in Cibubur, East Jakarta that had led a mob to ransack Ciracas Police station on Tuesday night until Wednesday dawn.

Aside from D, the police have also arrested four other suspects, namely AP, 32, and HP, 28, on Wednesday, and husband and wife IH, 31, and SR, 23, on Thursday. The four men are parking attendants at Arundina minimarket in Cibubur, Ciracas, East Jakarta.

"Based on the investigation, there won't be any additional suspects," Jakarta Police spokesman, Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono said on Friday.

The assault occurred following a quarrel between HP and Navy captain Komaruddin in the parking lot of Arundina. Komaruddin was fixing the muffler of his motorcycle when HP accidentally hit the captain's head with the motorcycle’s handlebars as HP was trying to move it. A quarrel between the two led HP and his four friends to attack Komaruddin and later also Private First Class Rivo Nanda, who happened to pass by and initially tried to calm the situation.

The assault allegedly led a mob of some 100 unidentified men to raze Ciracas Police station in East Jakarta on Tuesday night until 1:30 a.m. the following day. It was alleged that the mob comprised military personnel.

The mob, unsatisfied that the police had not arrested the attackers in the battery case, ransacked the building and damaged parked vehicles. They also beat up police officers on duty, including Ciracas Police chief Comr. Agus Widartono. (sau/ars)