TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Groundbreaking of Jakarta's first incinerator slated for next week

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Sun, December 16, 2018   /   06:26 pm
Groundbreaking of Jakarta's first incinerator slated for next week An event to announce the development of an intermediate treatment facility in Sunter, North Jakarta is attended by (from left) Jakarta Environment Agency head Isnawa Adji, Fortum executive vice president Per Langer, (then) deputy Jakarta governor Sandiaga Uno, PT Jakarta Propertindo president director Satya Heragandhi and Jakpro's director of business development in May. The groundbreaking of the facility is scheduled for Dec. 20. (The Jakarta Post/Steven)

Construction of the first and long-awaited incinerator in Jakarta will begin next week, an official has said.

The project, which will be developed in Sunter, North Jakarta, is widely known as an intermediate treatment facility (ITF). City-owned developer PT Jakarta Propertindo (Jakpro) is responsible for the facility’s construction, along with Finnish energy companies Fortum Power and Heat Oy.

“According to a statement from the Jakarta Environment Agency, the groundbreaking is slated for Dec. 20,” Jakpro corporate secretary Hani Sumarno told kompas.com on Sunday, adding that Governor Anies Baswedan had been scheduled to attend the event.

The project is expected to be completed in two years.

The facility is deemed urgently needed as Jakarta, home to some 10 million people, produces around 7,000 tons of waste every day. The project is expected to turn some 2,200 tons of waste into 35 megawatts (MW) of electricity.

Currently, waste produced in the city is disposed of at the Bantar Gebang landfill in Bekasi, West Java, which is estimated to reach full capacity in five years.

The central government had tried to accelerate the application of waste-to-energy technology in seven cities (Jakarta, Bandung, Makassar, Surabaya, Semarang, Surakarta and Tangerang) by issuing Presidential Regulation (Perpres) No. 18/2016 on the acceleration of the development of waste-based power plants.

However, this regulation was later annulled by the Supreme Court, following a challenge by various civil groups that argued incinerators were dangerous for the environment.

Hani said an Environmental Impact Analysis (Amdal) for the project had been prepared by the city’s environment agency and would only need to be legalized. (fac)