The Jakarta Post
A 71-year-old man was electrocuted and died while cutting the branches of a tree in South Jakarta on Friday.
Cilandak Police chief Comr. Kastor said the accident occurred when the victim, identified as Sudin, and his coworkers Slamet and Kastubi were working to clear out an empty plot of land belonging to a resident of neighborhood unit 04, community unit 03 along Jl. Kamboja in Cipete Selatan.
“They divided their portions of work. The victim was tasked to clear up a tree in the back of the lot using a ladder. Meanwhile, his coworkers were tasked to clear out the front part of the lot,” Kasto said, as wartakota.tribunnews.com reported on Sunday.
He said that when Kastubi went to look for Sudin, he found him on the ground, but his feet were still stuck in the ladder.
“After the accident, the witnesses asked for the locals' help to take the victim off [the ladder]. He was thought to be still alive and was brought to Fatmawati Hospital, but the doctor found that the victim had already died,” Kasto said.
The victim died of electrocution, the doctor stated.
“We speculate that when he chopped the branches his equipment struck electric cables,” Kasto said. (ami)