The Jakarta Post
Indian nationals top the list of foreigners who have been denied entry by Soekarno-Hatta International Airport immigration officers in Tangerang, Banten, up to October this year, an immigration official has said.
Soekarno-Hatta Immigration Office head Safar Muhammad Godam said that from January until October, the immigration office ─ which serves as one of the main checkpoints for those entering Jakarta from abroad ─ had denied entry to 1,488 foreigners.
"Indians [denied entry] numbered 252 people in total. Second place goes to Bangladeshis with 170 people denied entry," Safar said as quoted by kompas.com on Tuesday.
Soekarno-Hatta immigration officers also denied entry to 132 Sri Lankans, 105 Chinese and 93 Nigerians.
Safar explained that the foreigners were denied entry because they did not fulfill all the entry conditions as stipulated by law, such as possessing the necessary documents to enter the country.
He said people who Interpol had listed as wanted fugitives had also been denied entry.
Also from January to October this year, 245 Indonesians had been stopped from departing through Soekarno-Hatta International Airport on suspicion that they were illegal or non-procedural migrant workers.
“It was decided after officers interviewed each of them regarding their purpose and objective in traveling abroad,” Safar said.
The immigration office postponed their departure and temporarily seized the 245 Indonesians’ passports and returned the latter to the immigration offices at which they were issued for verification, he said. (dpk)