The Jakarta Post
Indonesia was concerned that the Middle East peace plan announced by United States President Donald Trump did not adhere to “internationally agreed parameters”, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement late Wednesday.
Trump finally released his long-delayed Israeli-Palestinian peace plan on Tuesday evening in Washington, D.C., (Wednesday morning in Jakarta) in a joint announcement with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The proposed plan lays out a vision for establishing an independent Palestinian state while also formalizing Israeli sovereignty over settlements built in occupied territory, AFP reports.
The plan covers strict conditions, including a requirement that the future Palestinian state be demilitarized.
Palestinians were not involved in drafting the plan.
"The issue of Palestine shall be resolved based on the principles of the 'two-state solution' that respects international law and internationally-agreed parameters," the ministry said in a statement to The Jakarta Post.
“Indonesia once again encourages the resumption of dialogues among relevant parties to achieve stability and lasting peace,” the ministry stressed.
Indonesia has previously highlighted the crucial issues that needed addressing – and were largely ignored in Trump's proposed plan – including the illegal Israeli settlements, the status of Jerusalem and the fate of some 5 million Palestinian refugees.
Trump's plan reverses decades of US foreign policy by suggesting that the Israeli settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem were not illegal. Near the end of Barack Obama’s presidency in 2016, the US mission to the United Nations allowed the UN Security Council to condemn these Israeli settlements in "occupied territory" as a “flagrant violation” of international law.
As a staunch supporter of the Palestinian agenda, the Indonesian government views Israel’s occupation of Palestine as one of the last remaining cases of colonialism, which must be eliminated according to the Preamble to the 1945 Constitution.