The National Police have reported that the number of road accidents during this year’s Idul Fitri mudik (exodus) season was 31 percent lower than last year’s, a decline from 2,851 accidents to 1,980.
The death toll decreased by 63 percent – from 1,116 in 2019 to 418 this year.
Security personnel intercepted motorists intending to return to their hometowns despite the mudik ban during this year’s Operation Ketupat, a security operation during Ramadan and Idul Fitri, between April 24 and June 7.
National Police traffic corps chief Insp. Gen. Istiono said 156,774 vehicles were prevented from going on mudik.
“This is the longest operation we have ever done, as the usual traffic operation during the Idul Fitri holiday is normally held for 14 to 15 days. In addition to managing traffic, we urged people not to go on mudik to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus,” Istiono said on Monday, as quoted by kompas.com.
The Jakarta Police reported that 70,719 vehicles had been asked to turn around while trying to enter the capital during the traffic operation, about 29,000 of which were not allowed to enter the city between May 27 and June 7 because of the absence of an entry and exit permit (SIKM).
“I appreciate all personnel from the police, military and related agencies who have worked together during this year’s Operation Ketupat,” said Istiono. (aly)