TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Civilian, soldier killed in attack by ‘separatists’: TNI

  • Ivany Atina Arbi
    Ivany Atina Arbi

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Fri, September 18, 2020   /   06:28 pm
Civilian, soldier killed in attack by ‘separatists’: TNI Fifty-one-year-old 'ojek' (motorcycle taxi) driver Badawi purportedly lost a lot of blood after his left hand was amputated by the armed criminal group using a machete, which eventually led to his death. (Shutterstock/Anya Douglas)

An Intan Jaya-based armed “separatist” group in Papua reportedly launched several attacks against civilians and an Indonesian Military (TNI) member recently, causing at least two fatalities, according to the military.

The TNI spokesperson for the Joint Regional Defense Command III in Papua, Col. Suriastawa, said in a statement that the latest incident took place in Bilogai village of Sugapa district in Intan Jaya regency on Thursday against a civilian named Badawi and Chief Sgt. Sahlan of the TNI, on two separate occasions. 

The 51-year-old ojek (motorcycle taxi) driver Badawi purportedly lost a lot of blood after his left hand was amputated by the armed criminal group using a machete, which eventually led to his death. The incident took place at around 10:50 a.m. local time.

Not long after that, at around 2:20 p.m., another attack reportedly took place against Chief Sgt. Sahlan, who was transporting logistics to nearby Hitadipa district, where he served as a village supervisory noncommissioned officer (Babinsa).

Read also: Papuan armed group accused of shooting COVID-19 team members

“The victim, who suffered a gunshot wound, died on the scene,” Suriastawa said, adding that the bodies of the two victims had been moved to the Bilogai community health center. 

The official further revealed that the group had also launched criminal acts against two ojek drivers, Fathur Rahman and Laode Anas Munawir, on Monday. They are currently receiving treatment at local hospitals.

“Joint security forces from the National Police and TNI are hunting down the perpetrators,” Suriastawa said, while calling on residents to remain cautious.