press enter to search

Tangkuban Parahu still closed to tourists after eruption

News Desk

The Jakarta Post

Jakarta  /  Tue, July 30, 2019  /  11:03 am
Tangkuban Parahu still closed to tourists after eruption

Mount Tangkuban Parahu is covered with thick volcanic ash following an eruption on June 26. (Antara/Novrian Arbi)

Travelers seeking to visit Mount Tangkuban Parahu’s crater in Bandung, West Java, should reconsider their plans for the time being as the tourist destination is still being cleaned following the volcano’s eruption last week.

“We are still cleaning up the area from ash, so we don’t want to force the reopening today [as previously planned],” Putra Kaban, the president director of Graha Rani Putra Persada, which manages the park, said on Monday.

Read also: Mount Tangkuban Parahu erupts, visitors told to stay away

At least three fire trucks have been deployed to the area since last weekend to clean the roads of volcanic ash.

“We are all exhausted. It’s impossible to force the reopening now,” he added as quoted by kompas.com.

Tangkuban Parahu erupted last Friday at around 3:48 p.m., prompting authorities to prohibit tourists from visiting the area.

The Center for Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation (PVMBG) said the 2,284-meter volcano spewed ash 200 meters in the air.

PVMBG head Kasbani said thick volcanic ash had spread to the south and northeast.

“The eruption has a maximum amplitude of 38 millimeters with a duration of about five minutes and 30 seconds,” he said in a statement, calling on visitors to avoid spending the night at the tourist complex.

Kasbani also warned local residents to stay alert for a possible increase in volcanic activity.

“A phreatic eruption could happen at any time without any clear volcanic signals," he added. (iva/kes)