'Ondel-Ondel': An almost extinct Betawi legacy
The Jakarta Post
PREMIUM ELECTRIFYING EFFIGIES: Dancers accompanied by modern electric ondel-ondel (giant effigies) spice up the Jakarta Fashion and Food Festival. Ondel-Ondel, Betawi icons, were once used to protect Betawi people from bad luck but are now often used in the cultural festivities. For over 23 years Andi Suwandi has devoted his life to the nearly extinct ondel-ondel, gigantic Betawi "human pupp...
- 'Raped, killed because they are Rohingya'
- EDITORIAL: Government market intervention
- Earthquake hits Banjarnegara, kills one, destroys buildings
- Jokowi agrees to drop 14 infrastructure projects, committee says
- City cannot restore all evicted areas: Sandiaga
- Lesson from Go-Jek: Answer to Uber, Grab
- Bridge collapses in E. Java, overpass collapses in N. Sulawesi
- Millennial travelers: What’s trending in 2018
- Indonesia warns Norway over CPO ban
- Police investigate deadly overpass collapse in North Sulawesi