'Ondel-Ondel': An almost extinct Betawi legacy
The Jakarta Post
PREMIUM ELECTRIFYING EFFIGIES: Dancers accompanied by modern electric ondel-ondel (giant effigies) spice up the Jakarta Fashion and Food Festival. Ondel-Ondel, Betawi icons, were once used to protect Betawi people from bad luck but are now often used in the cultural festivities. For over 23 years Andi Suwandi has devoted his life to the nearly extinct ondel-ondel, gigantic Betawi "human pupp...
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia's growing thirst for coffee drains premium bean supplies
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Pro IS cleric gets death for inspiring terror attacks in Indonesia
- India offers free e-visa for Indonesians
- Britain's Prince William on historic trip to Israel and West Bank
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...