School student eaten by crocodile: Report
The Jakarta Post
KUPANG: Juraida, 10, a school student in Lembata regency, East Nusa Tenggara, is thought to have been killed after she was snatched by a crocodile while fishing in a river.
The girl was hunting for turtles with her father and brother when the incident took place.
“Juraida was seized when she was in about a half-meter of water at the river’s mouth,” Lembata Deputy Regent Viktor Mado Waton said when contacted on Friday.
He said that based on the witnesses’ information, a crocodile suddenly leered up, snatched the girl and dragged her down into the water.
“Her father and brother could only watch helplessly,” Viktor said.
A rescue team was deployed later but they found only a dress and a hair ribbon on the sand, near the scene of the incident.
Local residents said that they had seen several crocodiles sun-bathing at the river mouth a few days before the incident.
Viktor said that a similar incident had taken place at the end of last year. The victim was never seen again in that case.
- New Android malware attacks more than 1 million Google accounts: Report
- Police satisfied with peaceful anti-Ahok rally
- House of Representatives remained secure, police chief says
- Singer Ahmad Dhani, activists declared treason suspects
- LIVE REPORT: Anti-Ahok rally
- Venturing into future of porn and sexuality in SEXPO
- 8 arrested on treason charges ahead of rally
- Government urged to control flood of textile imports from China
- US Embassy tightens security during anti-Ahok rally
- Hard for Ahok to bounce back: Expert