Jakarta Post

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
press enter to search

The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
30°C Partly Cloudy

Dry and mostly cloudy throughout the day.

  • Wed

    26℃ - 32℃

  • Thu

    25℃ - 32℃

  • Fri

    25℃ - 31℃

  • Sat

    26℃ - 30℃

Densus 88 kill terror suspects in Makassar

  • Andi Hajramurni

    The Jakarta Post

Makassar | Sat, January 5 2013 | 11:59 am

Two suspected terrorists were killed during a raid by the police anti-terror squad Densus 88 at the Wahidin Sudirohusodo regional hospital in Makassar, South Sulawesi, on Friday, while two others were arrested several hours later as they were trying to escape.

The dead suspects were identified as Syamsuddin, alias Asmar alias Buswah, and Hasan, alias Kholiq.

The bodies of both were sent to Jakarta for autopsy after undergoing initial medical examinations at the police’s Bhayangkara hospital in Makassar.

The identities of the arrested suspects as well as where they are being detained have yet to be disclosed but they were confirmed as belonging to the same group as the dead suspects.

They were arrested near Daya market, Makassar, at 3 p.m. local time. One of the suspects was shot in the leg.

“They have been on Densus 88’s wanted list. They are active terrorists,” head of South Sulawesi Police’s public relations division, Sr. Comr. Endi Sutendi, said on Friday.

Speaking to The Jakarta Post, Endi said that he was unable to determine whether the four were connected to the Poso network. “They could be, especially as South Sulawesi borders Central Sulawesi. Densus 88 is still investigating,” he said.

The raid was conducted at 10:45 a.m. local time. Witnesses said the raid was over quickly. The suspects were sitting in the hospital’s Al Nur Afiah Mosque as dozens of Densus 88 officers surrounded the mosque.

The witnesses said they did not realize they were police personnel because the officers were in civilian clothes. Some were wearing shorts.

“All of a sudden one of them entered the mosque and pointed a gun at one of the people sitting near the mosque door. After that we heard gun shots,” the hospital’s parking manager, Rahman, said.

He said he saw one man fall to the ground in front of the mosque’s stairs. Another fell on the road in front of the mosque, both were put in a car. Some people were then seen picking up bullet casings before leaving.

“It’s very quick. It lasted only about five minutes,” Rahman said.

Another witness, Ridwan Winandar, 32, of Nabire, Papua, said he had been meeting one of the four suspects at the mosque since Wednesday evening and had chatted with him but they had not introduced themselves.

“Last night [Thursday] I had a talk with him in this mosque. I stayed at the mosque until 11 p.m. and he was still here.

This morning I met him at the hospital when he looked like he was about to have a wash,” said Ridwan who was accompanying his daughter at the hospital.


Join the discussions