Text your say: New position for Yudhoyono
The Jakarta Post
Your comments on the result of the Democratic Party’s extraordinary congress that elected President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono as party chairman, making him the sole decision-maker in the party:
The new position of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (SBY) as the Democratic Party chairman will, of course, affect President SBY’s performance as President.
There are so many problems in the country to which there has been no solution, such as corruption, injustice, poverty, religious intolerance and many other things.
Therefore, President SBY should immediately hand over all party duties to appropriate members of the Democratic Party so that both the country’s and the party’s problems can be addressed simultaneously. President SBY should focus solely on overcoming the country’s problems.
His dual function as the President and the party chairman will result in reduced public support for the party.
Accepting his appointment as party chairman makes SBY a competitor of other political parties’ chairmen, making it awkward for him to act as President when required by warring political parties. This gives the impression that the party is completely immature!
In the meantime, people are expected to accept the importation of rice, garlic, onions and anything else ... chili and potatoes?
SBY should remain unbiased and address all issues facing the Republic of Indonesia from Sabang in Aceh to Merauke in Papua.
Even though Yudhoyono has an obligation to end internal conflict in his political party, his election is an unhealthy precedent. Let’s hope this does not become a permanent feature.
Aceh provincial flag
The Aceh Legislative Council has approved a qanun (bylaw) to adopt the flag used as a symbol of rebellion by the Free Aceh Movement as its provincial flag. What do you think?
Send your thoughts by email, SMS, Twitter or Facebook.
Include your name and city.
- Indonesia over the moon after $9.4 million win against Churchill
- Quake survivors evacuate to neighboring village, fear tsunami
- Sun to shine on Greater Jakarta property market
- Study finds majority of people condemning Ahok's ‘blasphemy’ not well informed
- Rachmawati says meetings, cash transfer not evidence of treason
- Police, Court not yet agree on Ahok's trial venue
- Soft approach essential to beating extremism: Minister
- Intelligence agency: Russia trying to destabilize Germany
- New statistics to track development of create economy
- Charging-device producer Anker aims to tap Indonesian market