Solo celebrates International Dance Day
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
As many as 3,500 dancers from 129 groups across the country are taking part in the "Solo Dances for 24 Hours" spectacle in celebration of International Dance Day, which falls Monday on April 29.
The event, the seventh of its kind, was kicked off by the Indonesia Dance Institute's (ISI) dance maestro, Wahyu Santoso Prabowo.
The participants plan to dance 24 hours straight from 6 a.m. through the following morning.
"We hope our movement will spread worldwide, whether with contemporary or traditional dance, and involve more youngsters," said ISI rector Slamet Suparno as quoted by Antara news agency.
Wahyu was due to perform popular dances to gamelan music, including the Lantoyo dance, Pamungkas, Gunungsari, Dwi Asmoro, and Keblat Papat Lima Pancer.
Wahyu, who is a member of the ISI's dance department, and the others plan to dance all the way to the institute's Rector's Building and the ISI Hall.
Sri Rochana, a member of Surakarta's World Dance Day, said participants in the series of events marking this year's commemoration, which is entitled "Tradition Inspires the World", included school children and dancers from studios in Surakarta (commonly known as Solo) and other cities on Java, including Yogyakarta,
Semarang, Cirebon, Bandung, Jakarta, and from beyond, such as Sulawesi and Kalimantan.
"The number of registered dancers totals 3,500," she said.
"The event on Jl. Jend. Sudirman will be attended by Surakarta Mayor FX Hadi Rudyatmo and Deputy Mayor Achmad Purnomo, who will dress in Werkudara and Puntadewa attire (both beneficent figures from Indonesian puppet theater)," added Rochana. (asw)
You might also like :
- Another phreatic eruption reported at Mt. Merapi
- Minibus driver used Facebook before deadly crash: reports
- Global warming may have 'devastating' effects on rice: Study
- BTS’ new album shows what truly matters
- Macron in Russia for high
- Amnesty highlights sex
- Gun control support fades three months after Florida massacre: Poll
- China fines Muji for packaging that lists Taiwan as a country
- Government is representation of God on earth: State Palace official
- Women paid more than men for same job in Indonesia: Global survey