Solo celebrates International Dance Day
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
As many as 3,500 dancers from 129 groups across the country are taking part in the "Solo Dances for 24 Hours" spectacle in celebration of International Dance Day, which falls Monday on April 29.
The event, the seventh of its kind, was kicked off by the Indonesia Dance Institute's (ISI) dance maestro, Wahyu Santoso Prabowo.
The participants plan to dance 24 hours straight from 6 a.m. through the following morning.
"We hope our movement will spread worldwide, whether with contemporary or traditional dance, and involve more youngsters," said ISI rector Slamet Suparno as quoted by Antara news agency.
Wahyu was due to perform popular dances to gamelan music, including the Lantoyo dance, Pamungkas, Gunungsari, Dwi Asmoro, and Keblat Papat Lima Pancer.
Wahyu, who is a member of the ISI's dance department, and the others plan to dance all the way to the institute's Rector's Building and the ISI Hall.
Sri Rochana, a member of Surakarta's World Dance Day, said participants in the series of events marking this year's commemoration, which is entitled "Tradition Inspires the World", included school children and dancers from studios in Surakarta (commonly known as Solo) and other cities on Java, including Yogyakarta,
Semarang, Cirebon, Bandung, Jakarta, and from beyond, such as Sulawesi and Kalimantan.
"The number of registered dancers totals 3,500," she said.
"The event on Jl. Jend. Sudirman will be attended by Surakarta Mayor FX Hadi Rudyatmo and Deputy Mayor Achmad Purnomo, who will dress in Werkudara and Puntadewa attire (both beneficent figures from Indonesian puppet theater)," added Rochana. (asw)
You might also like :
- Contract to be extended to 2041 as Freeport agrees to divest 51% shares
- Indonesian N219 aircraft succeeds in first test flight
- Soekarno-Hatta airport’s skytrain begins trial operation
- Jokowi declares graft war in front House members, Setya
- Put on some weight, says politician to Jokowi in prayer
- EDITORIAL: Forever young Indonesia
- Studio Ghibli goes into full production for new Hayao Miyazaki film
- Jokowi maintains merciless stance on drug dealers
- Jokowi wears traditional attire during annual state of the nation address
- Odd-even traffic policy at Cikampek toll road to be implemented in morning