Karina Salim: On screen & in shape
Andreas D. Arditya
The Jakarta Post
Budding actress Karina Salim has just entered the world of cinema and is getting involved in more projects.
The 21-year-old's name has been in entertainment news in the past few months, thanks to her first two films being screened in May, namely, What They don't Talk about When They Talk about Love and Pintu Harmonika (Harmonica's door).
'I found my way into the cinema world through ballet. I started ballet when I was 5 and then spent the next 15 years doing it.
Each year we would have performances and I would compete with other ballerinas auditioning for the lead role. We would then have acting coaches, usually well known actors from the Jakarta theater scene, so I guess I had a grounding in theater.
In 2010, I joined the musical satire Onrop with director and writer Joko Anwar. Last year, I also acted in Joko's short movie, Durable Love.
Joko later recommended that Mouly Surya [writer and director of What They don't Talk about] audition me. The film was an exciting experience. I had to play a girl with limited sight. I had months of observation and practice for the part.
It was really challenging, because unlike blind people, people with limited vision have active eyes, constantly looking around. I had to practice blank expressions while moving my eyes.
Mouly also decided to include a scene where my character dances ballet, knowing that I'm a trained ballerina.
The experience of going to Sundance was also a lot of fun. I got to meet Hollywood actors and take pictures with them, including James Franco and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
I've been increasingly getting busier and busier. I always want to spend my days off with my family, because it's really hard to find the time.
I get to keep in shape with them. My parents are very active; my mother loves yoga and my father biking. You can find me jogging with them at the Senayan sports complex during my leisure time.'
You might also like :
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Associate of close Trump adviser expects to be indicted by Mueller
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- University student ‘pseudo poll’: LGBT behavior caused by keeping wrong company...
- Garuda Indonesia records best OTP in Asia Pacific