Speaking to the fish with a pioneer dive master
Novia D. Rulistia
The Jakarta Post
The 51-year-old opened his regulator and started making a unique noise while we were underwater. A few seconds later, two giant trevallies appeared and swam around him.
Others who have dived with Condo in Komodo National Park say they have seen him make several sharks appeared.
'That noise is the sound of the fish when they spawn, Chondo said to a group of divers while on the open water. 'You can do it, too. Just try.'
None of us, however, succeeded.
Condo has been diving in Komodo since 1987. Together with his diving instructor when he worked in Bali, he explored and then opened most of the dive sites in Komodo. A week after his first diving lesson, Condo joined his instructor and accompanied guests on a dive.
'Besides becoming their guide, we also explored new dive sites, because most of my guests were diving instructors who liked to explore,' Condo, a former ranger at Komodo National Park, said.
In 1994, Condo was the local scout and assistant for a Discovery Channel team that was making a documentary about Komodo. He also worked with The Nature Conservancy, an environmental NGO, as a marine project leader in 1997.
In between his many gigs, Condo set up his own dive center, CNDive Komodo.
'As I only had open water license, I had to upgrade my license if I wanted to open a dive center,' Condo said. He currently holds PADI and Indonesian Diving Association instructor certification.
At first, CNDive only served day trips, but since 1997, the dive center also offers live-on-aboard (LOB) diving trips and was a pioneer in introducing LOB to Komodo.
'Back then, we didn't spend the night on the boat like now. After dinner, we set up the tent first on the beach. My old clients once told me that they missed that,' Condo said.
Besides calling fish, Condo is also known among divers for his habit of not wearing a wetsuit ' no matter how cold the water in Komodo is.
Condo laughed. 'It's simple. Besides, I feel like I'm really diving without wearing it.'
You might also like :
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash