Speaking to the fish with a pioneer dive master
Novia D. Rulistia
The Jakarta Post
The 51-year-old opened his regulator and started making a unique noise while we were underwater. A few seconds later, two giant trevallies appeared and swam around him.
Others who have dived with Condo in Komodo National Park say they have seen him make several sharks appeared.
'That noise is the sound of the fish when they spawn, Chondo said to a group of divers while on the open water. 'You can do it, too. Just try.'
None of us, however, succeeded.
Condo has been diving in Komodo since 1987. Together with his diving instructor when he worked in Bali, he explored and then opened most of the dive sites in Komodo. A week after his first diving lesson, Condo joined his instructor and accompanied guests on a dive.
'Besides becoming their guide, we also explored new dive sites, because most of my guests were diving instructors who liked to explore,' Condo, a former ranger at Komodo National Park, said.
In 1994, Condo was the local scout and assistant for a Discovery Channel team that was making a documentary about Komodo. He also worked with The Nature Conservancy, an environmental NGO, as a marine project leader in 1997.
In between his many gigs, Condo set up his own dive center, CNDive Komodo.
'As I only had open water license, I had to upgrade my license if I wanted to open a dive center,' Condo said. He currently holds PADI and Indonesian Diving Association instructor certification.
At first, CNDive only served day trips, but since 1997, the dive center also offers live-on-aboard (LOB) diving trips and was a pioneer in introducing LOB to Komodo.
'Back then, we didn't spend the night on the boat like now. After dinner, we set up the tent first on the beach. My old clients once told me that they missed that,' Condo said.
Besides calling fish, Condo is also known among divers for his habit of not wearing a wetsuit ' no matter how cold the water in Komodo is.
Condo laughed. 'It's simple. Besides, I feel like I'm really diving without wearing it.'
You might also like :
- Rihanna is named Harvard University Humanitarian of the Year
- Indonesia prepares company to manage Freeport
- Freeport needs to stand up to Indonesia over the CoW issue
- Bandung terrorist suspect was 'recidivist': Police
- NGO urges King Salman not to forget his promises to crane victims
- Indonesian woman shocked to find kidney had been removed after working in Qatar
- Philippine militants release video of German's beheading
- Anies, Ahok to face off in second round: KPU Jakarta
- Indonesia can embrace clean energy amid cheaper renewables, says UK climate envoy
- Suspected terrorist in Bandung captured alive